Drone Project Introduction (part 1)
When I was an undergraduate student, I saw my seniors played and tried to make something flied. At that time, I don’t know what it is and how it could fly. And they just said to me that I called something is Drone. With propellers, motors, MCU, controller, gyro & accelerometer, they said in detailed, of course, at 2nd-year I can not understand anything about these components or devices. Just something can fly. It has been making me curious and excited. Until now, I have a chance to build it for my own.
There are a lot of drone projects with open source even open hardware for users. However, this project I hope I can build a quadcopter by my self. Additionally, this project is relative with my master thesis that I am researching about using a ring gesture control device to control drone.
I will update process in this blog.
Here is my list I have chosen for building a quadcopter:
Frame + Motors + ESC (Kits)
I chose to use is F450 DJI kit with:
- Frame (282g)
- Flame wheel integrated PCB wiring
- 2312E 960KV Motors
- 420E ESC (Electronic Speed Control)
- Propellers 10 x 4.5in ; 8 x 4.5in
MCU - LPC1768
- High performance ARM® Cortex™-M3 Core
- 96MHz, 32KB RAM, 512KB FLASH
- Ethernet, USB Host/Device, 2xSPI, 2xI2C, 3xUART, CAN, 6xPWM, 6xADC, GPIO
- 5V USB or 4.5-9V supply
IMU - BNO055
BNO055 Intelligent 9-Axis Absolute Orientation Sensor:
- integrating a triaxial 14-bit accelerometer
- a triaxial 16-bit gyroscope with a range of ±2000 degrees per second
- Magnetometer typical ±1300μT (x-, y-axis); ±2500μT (z-axis)
- a triaxial geomagnetic sensor and a 32-bit ARM Cortex M0+ microcontroller running Bosch Sensortec sensor fusion software
- digital bidirectional I²C and UART interfaces
Transmitter and Receiver
- Channels: 6 Channels
- Model Type: Glider/Heli/Airplane
- RF Range: 2.40-2.48GHz
- Bandwidth: 500KHz
- Band: 142
- RF Power: Less Than 20dBm
- Control Range: 500m
- DSC Port: PS2;Output:PPM
LiPo Battery and LiPo Charger, balancer, and discharger
LiPo Battery (3s, 11.1V, 2200mA)
LiPo Charger, balancer, and discharger
FPV (Receiver and Transmitter) and Camera:
Fist Person View - TS840 RC840:
Camera ELITE QB58 TX CAMERA COMBO:
This one is for my backup in case I can not finish this project on the time. Then I have to change to this platform to be flight controller (MCU, IMU, Controller). Crazyflie is really interesting open source project with Python API for users want to embedded their purposes.
If possible I will make an auto-pilot mode with GPS module for my quadcopter.